Search This Blog

Paper boats in the puddle...


Since last one week, it is raining beautifully. Rain has changed Nature's canvas sublimely, providing a soothing calm. It is such a gratifying respite from the sweltering heat! I enjoy watching rain from my bedroom window. As the wind gushes and flirts with plenty of wind chimes in my house, it creates fascinating, rhythmic intonations, rendered in perfect harmony. The tiny raindrops that the wind brings have therapeutic quality to them and when I feel its magical caress on my skin, every single cell of my body is rejuvanated! The hypnotic, heavenly fragrance of wet earth takes me to a completely different world! Rain weaves such a magic on everyone! It helps disconnecting ourselves from concrete reality of our urban landscapes and get immersed with Nature.

Last evening, it was raining very heavily and I went to call my son, playing football in the rain. It was getting slightly dark and all I could listen to, was steady pattering of the raindrops and shrill cries of the children. As I walked towards the play area in my building, suddenly my son came from nowhere and hugged me tight. I was about to get angry, looking at his dirty clothes when he said, "not done mom! Why don't you forget that umbrella and enjoy the rain?" He snatched my umbrella and dragged me with him to the garden of my building.  He showed me lush green leaves, cozily nestling the raindrops. "Isn't it perfect mom? The way you love it? " Before I answered, he said, "let's search for some paper boats in the puddles. Those are only things missing!"


I was surprised, when my son suggested we take a walk exploring rain! For a teenage boy like him, there is nothing more exciting and adrenaline pumping like a game of football in the rain with friends! As we started walking in our premises, we spotted some toddlers trying to catch the rain in their tiny palms. They were in the rain coats and gumboots, accompanied by their nannies who were watching the children carefully, lest they get wet. In the backdrop of beautifully manicured, well maintained garden and spotlessly clean cement road in the building, experiencing rain was mesmerizing! It was just the way I love, rain sans any grime! My son talked about how fascinated he used to be with the paper boats of different shapes, colors and sizes that I used to make for him and his friends, when he was a little younger.

As we neared the main gate of our building, my son noticed a child with his mother, a few meters away across the road at one of the temporary shanties meant for the workers, at the construction site. The mother was having a tough time stopping the child from going in the rain as they were dangerously close to the main road, full with traffic. The child, barely four, was hell bent on playing with the water that was gushing towards the gutter near their shack. My son asked me to wait for him and rushed back home. After a while, he returned with a plastic bag in his hand, full with paper boats, and I realized what was on his mind.

We walked down to the mother and child across the road. My son called the child and started putting paper boats in the water. The child, initially shy, looked so delighted looking at the boats sailing off! The sense of wonder in his eyes (a rare thing to find in urban children generally) was unfathomable! Soon, few other children started gathering and enjoy watching the boats with amazing excitement! After spending some time with those children, when we returned, there was a divine feeling inside us!

Last evening was special to me in many ways. I not only enjoyed the rain with my son after long time but also realized that no matter how big he grew, he still cherished those little moments and valued them immensely. I hope and pray that he continues to share things with everyone just like the way he did, last evening with those children. I loved it when he left his game just to be with me. I know he has his own beautiful world but I am still an important part of it. And that feeling is precious! Don't I often say I'm very blessed?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Raghurajpur, an emblem of heritage arts and crafts of Odisha!!!

About fifteen km from the revered city of Lord Jagannath, Puri, there is a tiny little hamlet Raghurajpur, nestled on the southern bank of r...